Infant has cold, cough, runny nose, congestion, fever causing excessive drooling, breathing trouble, disturbed sleep. Emergency?

8 month old son. Appears to have a cold- coughing, runny nose , congested. However he has had a fever of 101.0 to 101.8 throughout the day today. He is miserable tonight. He keeps waking up coughing. He is also drooling a lot and can t seem to breathe very well and get back to sleep. I am not sure if I should taken him to the ER or wait it out until morning and call the ped office. Not sure if the fever is from the cold or potentially something else.
Asked On : Fri, 12 Oct 2012