Infant had diarrhea, pus cells, mucus present. Done stool test. What medication is recommended?

my babys's age is 3 n half month, last couple of days he was passing loose motion, Dr. advise us for stool test, in first test color-grenish,consistency-soft,mucus-nil,blood-nil,parasites-nil,pus cell-full field/hpf,rbc-nil, after some treatment second test report result, color-brownish,consistancy-soft,pus-present,mucus-present,pus cell-1-2/hpf,
so,Dr.advise us, that pus is in range, and in first report mucus was not there in second report it is there,please advise what should we do
Asked On : Wed, 9 Oct 2013
Hi
Thanks for your query
I understand your concern.
Your baby has acute enteritis which is mostly viral in nature and settles in few days.
Since pus cells are less than 5so nothing to worry.
Most important is to maintain and monitor hydration.
Continue with breastfeeding.
Give oral rehydration solution sip by sip in case stools are watery in nature.
Give probiotic 2 times a day for 3to 4 days and zinc for 14days after consulting your doctor.
Watch for features of dehydration like decrease in urine output/refusal of feed/lethargy and in case you observe any get him examined by pediatrician

Wishing your baby good health
God bless.