Infant got hit on the left of head by a car door, got a red spot that gradually reduced, seems fine. Is a scan required?

I had my little 11 month old granddaughter in my arms when I went out to the car to get the air conditioner running before we left for her home. My car (Honda van) is parked on a slant (driver s side on upper side of slant).....I thought the car door was completely opened, but it wasn t. The door hit my granddaughter pretty hard on the top, back leftside of her head (right on a bone). She cried for only about 2-3 minutes...there was no bump...just redness. I imediately put ice in a cloth and held it on her for about 10 minutes, while she drank her bottle. She seemed fine...smiling, etc. On the way to her house...she gooed and jabbered...(I tried to keep her awake during the 25 min. trip) then, the last 5-10 minutes of the trip she fell asleep. When I got to her house, I checked her head and the red spot was now half the size as it was previously. My question is....should I have taken her to the emergency room or called the paramedics?? I am now second-quessing myself. Should we take her to the doctor to be checked out on Monday....just to be safe? Can they run a scan to make sure she doesn t have a fracture or blood under the skin? Thank you.
Asked On : Wed, 26 Sep 2012