Infant developed a blotchy red rash on arms, tops of legs, spread to face, ears. Could this be a viral reaction?

Hello, my son is 20 months and has developed a blotchy red rash . It is mainly on his arms, tops of legs and has spread to his face (cheeks) his ears are also a little red and hot although he does not have a temperature. He has recently had a cold , but doen not have any cold symptoms now. He is eating and drinking well (normally) the rash appears to itch slightly and is raised in places (welts). could this be a viral reaction or something else?
Asked On : Sun, 28 Apr 2013