Infant crying at night. Is it advisable to comfort him every time?

I have a client who has a 16-month-old child that screams at night. She states that she cannot tolerate his screams, and so she picks him up to prevent him from awakening the other family members. I have attempted to encourage her to simply stand next to his bed and comfort him verbally, and to try other things such as nightlights, comforting white noise machines, etc., but she insists that it is cruel to allow him to scream, and she picks him up and cradles him. I think it is actually her issue, not the child's, and that it is now behavioral, and she is actually making it worse. What do you think?
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013