Infant could not gain weight after a bout of fever and cold, on breast feed and nutritious diet, throws out irozorb. Can I give him nido?

hi doctor, good morning, iam anupama from kerala. iam a mom of 10 month old baby boy. he weighs 9.665kg now. he was above 9kg in his 8 months and his doctor said he is good like a11 month baby, but after fever and cold(3 times continuously) he couldnt gain his weight more and now he lean. iam giving his breast milk plus boiled banana, broken rice with dals and leafy vegetables, carrot with almond and ghee rice( not adding ghee to it), water and food made from white rice. also doctor has given him irozorb 5ml daily but my baby refuses it and he omitted once, so iam afraid to give but doctor said it to give compulsorily , kindly suggest , and doctor can i give him nido? and what other food can i give him to make him smarter and healthier? kindly help me sir, thanking you.
Asked On : Thu, 4 Oct 2012
Hi Anupama,

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern as a mother. Let me add that your son is doing absolutely weight wise and I do not understand why do you want him to be overweight at a young age. You are giving him a good diet and should continue to do so. At this age milk supplements like Nido are not what the child should be having. He should be having a good nutritious diet.

As regards Irozorb, what is the haemoglobin of the child? If it is low then an iron preparation is required. If the levels are normal then you can avoid the iron preparation. Apart from Irozorb there are other iron preparations available which can be tried.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Feel free to revert back for any clarification that you may need.

Wishing your son all the best.