Infant accidentally put bobby pin in the ear, has light smell from the ear. Alarming?

I caught my son holding a bobby pin and sticking it in his ear (he is 16mos). I took it away the second I saw it, but since he s been putting his finger at his ear and scratching it (the ear hole), and he cried for about minute after I took the pin away. There s no bleeding , but there is a light smell. Should I be concerned about the pin? Or was he doing it because his ear was irritated, infected possibly?
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012
Oct 2013
hello dear
thanks for your query at HCM.
smell from ear, scratch might be due to infection.
there is no need for concern because it is not emergency.
give ciplox ear drops two drops thrice daily in ear.
if there is any discharge from ear, fever,and altered sensorium consult doctor.
otherwise no need to worry.
hope this will be helpful