Increased heartbeat, intensifies when climbing stairs. How much longer to live?

I have been experiencing the loud pulsing sound of my heartbeat for about a year now through my left ear. At first I noticed it only when I am in bed and the place is quiet, now I am hearing it all the times. I started using earplugs every time I go to sleep to not hear the annoying sound. I also find that when I climbed flights of stairs the sound got more intense. How much longer can I live like this? I am 42 years old and very active when it comes to exercise. I also feel the pounding of my heart through the sounds at times. Please help me with some solutions.
Asked On : Tue, 25 Dec 2012