Increased blood sugar level. Why has insulin not been prescribed?

Hi doctor,this is samatha from bangalore,India My mother-in-law has diabetic and BP since 9 years.Recently she developed breathlessness and fatigue .She was admitted in hospital also for 3 days.the problem diagnosed with, her liver filled with water and her left ventricle of the heart failed to work for few days it seems.The cause behind this is she slipped her BP tablets for 10 days. She was discharged from hospital 1 week back with diabetis in control.Now yesterday for regular check we had been, she had again random diabetis reading of 570.Doctor then increased the dosage of the medicine, and asked to re-check after a week again. So my question is, why she is not been given insulin when her reading so high?is it good to use insulin whenever reading of diabetic is high.Why high sugar levels cause fatigue/breathlessness for her.please reply and let us know, if the treatment we are giving to her is the right one.
Asked On : Wed, 7 Nov 2012