In early twenties, on microgynon as birth control pill. Want to use Copper IUD with BCP. Is it advisable?

Hello, I am a 20 year old sexually active female, never had children, currently on microgynon as BCP ( Ethinylestradiol 30 micrograms, levonorgestrel 150 micrograms). It is working wonderfully for me. However, I am seriously considering getting a copper IUD implanted, and continuing my BCP alongside this. My main concern is the periods - I have heard that they can become VERY heavy on the copper IUD. I already have anaemia , and so far my periods are very manageable. But I was wondering how manageable would they be if I were to continue taking my current BCP as well as having an IUD? Also, what are the chances of an ectopic pregnancy with an IUD? If my periods became heavy, would a combination of mefenamic acid whilst I m on the week s break from my pill help lessen them? What are the chances of pregnancy with the IUD and BCP? It seems to be the best form of long term contraception that is not hormonal (previously I HAVE been on depo and microgynon together for three months, but I found the depo to have had too many adverse side effects for me). Thanks in advance! Edit - I am now considering the Mirena instead, but I wanted to know whether any nulliparous woman can actually get it or not... the WHO guidelines and several studies etc said they can, but I know some doctors are iffy to do so.. Why is this?
Asked On : Thu, 19 Jul 2012