Impacted wisdom tooth to be removed. Is the thick skin there infection?

i havent been able to open my mouth wide for about a year now and i went to an oral surgeon who is going to remove my impacted wisdom teeth and he told me they were not the reason i couldnt open my mouth and asked me if i clinched my teeth alot which i dont. i have thick skin in front of my wisdom teeth feel like little balls that sometimes get infected and hurt and when i do try an open my mouth its not so much painful as it is a lot of pressure do you have any idea what this could be?
Asked On : Tue, 18 Sep 2012