If heart disease[ cholesterol, angina] runs in your family can u prevent it?

if heart disease[ cholesterol, angina] runs in your family can u prevent it, or just give up? my husbands dad died at 49 of a heart attack , he had angina his grandfather died at 52 of a heart attack too since 23 my hubby has been on and off cholesterol medication, causing liver damage, thyroid problems and ck in his blood to be raised! he eats pretty healthy, but not tooooo healthy, and he feels like just giving up taking his cholesterol medication cos he says its causing other problems and in the end hes still going to die young cos its hereditary ,,,, but im hoping he can lower his cholesterol just by his diet and hopefully quit the medication ,,,, is this possible?,, or if its hereditary theres no way stopping it his dad smoked and drank a little, so did his grandad my hubby dosent smoke, or drink, never done drugs, hes 37 keeps real fit and goes gym 4 times a week will he be ok,,, im sick of his attitude today, hes down on himself and hes sick of the cholesterol medication making him feel worse,,, i need to help him,,, any advice to cheer him up? thanks
Asked On : Sun, 20 Dec 2009