If a person is hooked up on a breathing machine and the body is cooled then warmed up and not responding does this mean the patient is dead and keeping the organs alive ?

my son was brought into the er today, they think he was not breathing for 30 min before they got to him. now his heart is beating by itself but they have him hook up to a breathing machine and for some reason they are cooling his body temp. after 24 hours they will warm up his body he is not responding to nothing they have not check his brain I just want to know if he is really dead and they are just keeping his organs alive
Asked On : Fri, 18 Mar 2011