IV swelling, Should I be concerned or will it heal itself ?

Im a 39 yr old female with recent transplant ( kidney ) and I was in the Er and they tried to start and IV and was stuck 12 times before they stopped and now my right are is purple with alot of swelling and pain. My forarm feels like there is something tearing inside. Should I be concerned or will it heal itself
Asked On : Tue, 13 Jul 2010
Probably you might be having infection of the veins called as Superficial Thrombophlebitis.
Treatment is aimed at patient comfort and preventing superficial phlebitis from progressing to involve the deep veins, because damage to deep vein valves leads to chronic deep venous insufficiency (often referred to as postphlebitic syndrome) as well as to recurrent pulmonary embolism and an increased risk of death.
Antibiotics are not routinely indicated for treatment of superficial thrombophlebitis, as the erythema and tenderness is a local inflammatory reaction, not an allergic reaction. However, if suppurative thrombophlebitis could be present, then antibiotics should cover both skin flora and anaerobic organisms, especially if an abscess is present. The other treatments include ambulation,compression stocking and warm compresses.
Do consult your local GP.You should follow-up with your primary care physician or vascular surgeon in 2-3 days to ensure that the disease process is improving.
The prognosis for superficial thrombophlebitis is generally good.
General & Family Physician Dr. K.S Sanju's  Response
How is your swelling?