I was born with a hole in my heart. Is that normal?

okk, so i just recently found out that i was born with a hole in my heart? is that normal??? is there anything i should be concerned about??? looking for any signs or something??
Asked On : Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Hi Tien,
Welcome to HCM.
You have not mentioned your age or the location of the hole. Holes can occur either in the partition separating the ventricles (Ventricular septal defect - VSD) or the one separating the atria (Atrial septal defect - ASD). These defects can cause a heavy load on heart in addition to mixing the oxygenated and deoxygenated blood.
This burden on heart will reflect as feeling tired easily, breathlessness after climbing a short distance, uphill. etc.
Best would be to consult a cardiothoracic surgeon and get surgical correction of the defect done if possible.
Wish you all the best.
General & Family Physician Dr. Chirag Soni's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
What is your age at present...?
It is called congenital heart disease.go for ECHO test to confirm the diagnosis.
Signs and symptoms are related to the type and severity of the heart defect.
Some have no signs while others may exhibit shortness of breath, cyanosis, syncope, heart murmur, under-developing of limbs and muscles, poor feeding or growth, or respiratory infections.
Consult cardiologist for better guidance and medical management.