I want to permanent hair reduction on my face

hi doctors,i am 18 years old girl.i want to permanent hair reduction on my face so pls given some advices.
Asked On : Mon, 6 Sep 2010
hello ritu,
for permanent hair reduction on face can be done by laser hair removal by ndyag laser r diode, minimum of 6 to 7 session of laser therapy ll b required for permanent removal.

Dermatologist Dr. Bharat Chawda's  Response

Welcome To HealthcareMagic forum,

Before you go for any laser hair reduction ,you need to understand few things about the laser machines used & causes of facial hair.

You rightly wrote "reduction" term rather than removal,as lot of people think.But yes,at time we do see hair being removed completely,but not in all cases.

Facial hair in females is called as HIRSUTISM.The most common cause is hormonal disturbances.Other causes are hereditary,use of oral or topical steroid, idiopathic ,drug induced etc.In females one should rule out polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD) if other features of hormonal disturbances are present.

There are three different machines used for hair reduction.
1) IPL ( intense pulse light)
2) Nd:yag laser
3) Diode laser.

Out of these three ,IPL is the worst machine .It is not even considered as a laser .Its a light devise meant for various purpose including hair reduction.But it does not show any good response.Since it is a very cheap machine ,lot of doctors keep it in their clinic.It has more tendencies to cause burn marks also .

Nd:yag & Diode are both considered as good lasers,but of the two, Diode is considered as more superior.Diode laser is more costly and hence is not easy to find one ,but there are few clinic which have this laser too.With no doubts ,I would recommend diode to any body.

Another important fact about lasers is that it does not work on very fine hair and on grey hair.So ,if you have fine hairs ,kindly be sure as to what promises you are getting form the laser specialist.

Yet another fact is that laser hair reduction require multiple sittings which may vary from patient to patient (6 to 10 sittings even with a diode laser ) .This also depends upon your hormonal status.This also makes the treatment very costly.

I would like to advise you that ,please don't take a laser treatment form a beauty parlor .You need a experienced dermatologist for this .In the end I would say that its not just the machine ,but the man behind the machine which is also very important.

I am glad that I could share this with you as these things are not known by many people ( not even doctors) .

I hope this answers your query,and now you can decide which laser to go for . If you have any further questions ,you can write back to us.

Dr.Bharat Chawda