I want to know about dialysis

my father has got kidney failure...and doctor advised...dialysis..i want to know what is this dialysis..pls post a reply
Asked On : Mon, 21 Sep 2009
Nephrologist 's  Response
Dialysis is a procedure for reducing accumulated waste products in the bood on account of kidney failure when kidneys no longer can do it on their own sufficiently.It can be used both for acute as well as chronic kidney failure.It is primarily of 2 types namely Hemodialysis(blood & artificial membrane based)done with the help of a dialysis machine & can be done both at home or in the hospital.Although in majority of centres in India it is done in Hospital setting.
Other type is Peritoneal(Abdominal natural membrane based) also can be done both in the hospital as well as at home,& is a preferred modality by the people who want to do it at home.Both the dialyses are good for the patient requiring dialysis

Dialysis is a procedure where the waste products are removed from the blood since the kidneys are damaged they are unable to do this function
hi klaus,

I read your query Dialysis is a procedure by which waste product of body and excess fluid remove from body This is the replacement of function of kidney because your patients kidney not working properly By dialysis patient gets relief fron vomiting breathlessness etc There are 2 types of dialysis are available 1. Haemodialysis 2. PERETONIAL DIALYSIS For Haemodialysis you have to go to the hospital Peretonial dialysis you can do at home For both types of dialysis you have to go for a minor surgery
Nephrologist Dr. Sanjeev Behura's  Response
Dialysis is a procedure by which blood is cleared of "impurities" that collect in the body as a failed kidney is unable to clear. it can be done by two ways peritoneal dialysis or hemodialysis. The former can be done at hone whereas the latter is done in a dialysis unit in a hospital.

General Surgeon Dr. Rajinder Bajoria's  Response
dialysis is primarily used to provide an artificial replacement for lost kidney function in people with renal failure. Dialysis may be used for those with an acute disturbance in kidney function ( previously acute renal failure) or for those with progressive & chronically worsening kidney function– chronic renal disease (previously chronic renal failure ). dialysis may be used as a "holding measure" until a renal transplant can be arranged or performed, or as supportive measure in those where a transplant would be inappropriate.or not advisable.Disclaimer

Is it possible for a CRF patient to attend parenthood?

Anonymous's Response
hi, my mother undergo dialysis for almost a month... her friend advised her to take medicine(I dont know the product) after a week she realized that her kidney begun functioning well because she is able to pass urine many urine as normal like she has no failure in her kidney, if this condition continue, is it possible or Ok for her to stop her dialysis?
dialysis is must, when kidneys stop functioning there should be a garbage disposal for the body, otherwise it stinks and creates more problem like in a house. So get the dialysis done. We did it for 3 yrs for my father and later went for kidney transplant
my grandma is diabetic patient since 22 yrs. because of diabetes, both of the kidneys were damged and was functioning very less. initially they started her on dialyis for every week. but only when they did the dialysis she was quiet ok, after that she was tired, breathless, and not able to pass urine. because of her age of 71 yrs even transplantation was not possible. finally she expired.
  Anonymous's Response

hi, my friend also has kidney failure. he is on dialysis too. dialysis is like having a kidney outside your body as your kidney is not working. that unit will work as a kidney getting rid of the harmful things out of the body.