I ve had this fluttering sensation with my heart that my heart skips a beat ?

This is the second time in a row that I ve had this fluttering sensation with my heart. It lasted several hours yesterday (happeneing about every 30 seconds) and now it has continued today at various intervals. It has been going on for a few hours now tonight. Is this dangerous? If I place my hand over my heart and push down to get a better feel, I eventually feel my heart skip a beat. I heard from my parents that when I was born I had an irregular heart beat but that went away and I was released from the hospitol. I ve told my parents about it but they think it is nothing. Can this redevelop and is this soemthing I should worry about? It is also not caused by caffine. I have several cups of tea daily and never had flutters this frequent. Just to check I cut the caffine intake today and I ve had no change at all. And another seems to stop completely when I lie down but when I sit up/stand it starts again. Some more things - I m 17 and weight about 135 lbs. I have been eating this chocolate orange the last 2 days and it seems it happens after I eat that. I eat chocolate all the time so I don t know what is in it to cause it.
Asked On : Fri, 11 Dec 2009
Hi, Great Question, I'm an Echocardiographer and I've published quite a bit on the subject online. From what you've described, the Arrythmia your having is called Supraventricular Tachycardia or SVT. You should'nt worry about it unless your having symptoms (ie... shortness of breath, chest pain or discomfort) in which case make an appointment to see a Cardiologist, they will have you wear a Holter monitor for a couple of days to see the significance of your arrythmias. Here's the link to learn more... Also... Good luck!