I ve had problem of Racing Heart/Palpitations - Doctors unable to find out a cause

I ve had this problem for years and no one can find it; today it s been at its worse and slowly getting worse over time. My heart started racing through a 10 minute period peaking at 158bpm (I have a pulse meter thing). When it peaked there was a large THUMP in my chest and my rate dropped back to 98 over the next 30 seconds. Now I am left with a numbness/tingly/burning thing on the side of my head and down my left arm. In addition I am feeling dizzy and weak and shaky. I have been diagnosed as having anemia but I don t believe this is a cause. Every time I ve gone to the hospital before they always do the standard tests (EKG s, blood, etc) and find nothing wrong. My search of the internet places my symptoms as a heart attack, or various other problems. Can anyone give me any advice? Let me add that a stress test could not reproduce the problem nor did it signify any other problems. I have been trying to find a trigger myself but realized that there is no trigger (well, that I can tell) as it happens at various times and situations. But I do smoke (i know, I ve been told I should quit, working on it)
Asked On : Sun, 20 Dec 2009