I think I may be depressed.What should I do?

I am a 19 year old female. I get really sad for no reason everyday. I sometimes feel useless, worthless, confused, and lost. Some days, I have to force myself to get out of bed and socialize with my family or go to work. Only a few members of my family know I feel this way and that does not include my parents. I don t want them to know that I feel this way again because my mother treats me different when she knows. I pretend I m happy all the time but it s getting harder and harder everyday. When my mother asks me what s wrong, I always tell her, I m tired. I don t have the money to see a psychiatrist and at the moment, I don t have the money for medication either. Sometimes I think about hurting myself but I don t do it.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Apr 2011

What you need right now are not solutions, but a lot of introspection. Usually I would advice you to consult a Psychiatrist and perhaps a Psychotherapist for a combined approach. But if you can't afford it, we need to see how you can find help.

This is an open forum, and it may not be appropriate to discuss personal issues here. You can try sending me a mail by visiting my profile page. Let us see if we can ease out the situation with email exchanges.

Feelings of sadness, frustration, hopelessness, etc. are mostly a result of our own thoughts, inferences and beliefs about what happens to us. And thus, we have the freedom to modify our own thinking in a way that we can go on with our lives with minimal emotional disturbances. For this to happen, you need to find a way to explore your inner thoughts and beliefs. A therapist can of course help you with that. The next best option is discussing it via email. Let me know.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
ENT Specialist Dr. Puneet Maheshwari's  Response
u donmt think that you are depressed..have positive attitude and have proper schedule of work and take proper sleep and rest is very important for you
Ophthalmologist Dr. Nyla's  Response
All what you mentioned are signs of depression.Your so young what is the cause for such low in life?you should be having that answer.Obviuosly your not happy with things that have turned out whatever they may be but thats not reason to give up on life.Focus all your negative energy into positive.Feelings of frustration, irriability, depression bring on negative attitude especialy when your busy chasing things that you think will make you happy.So dont chase happiness.Here are few tips.Focus on your strong points instead of weak points. Emphasise on your strenghts.Develop a hobby that makes you creative and happy.Group activities are fun.Try something new. Do things that you enjoy the most.Forgive somebody every day.Have hope and faith towards everything and everyone.Most of all dont isolate yourself, talk about how you feel to your close freinds if you cant afford counselling sessions.