I m pregnant and my doctor wants me to undergo inducing. what dose it indicate ?

Hello, My name is Kyley. I am 36-37 weeks pregnant. My daughter is 5lbs 15oz as of Tuesday, April 16th. It's a little confusing... But, I got a sonogram done a couple weeks ago and my due date is supposed to be May 1st, then the sonogram after that the doctor told me that my due date was May 12th. But when I went for the appointment right after the sono my doctor said it was still the 1st. The last appointment I went to April 16th, Tuesday, my doctor tells me she is going to have me induced on April 30th so she can be here by May 1st. But I thought the reason for induction was if I go past my due date, I;m not even going to be on my due date and she already wants to induce me. Me and everyone I've told thinks it sounds very odd. Because if she does have me induced then my daughter might be considered a preemie. The "medical reason" my doctor wants to induce me is because she said my baby isn't growing like she supposed to. But when I had the sonogram done, he did some kind of test for her and she passed with flying colors, my placenta still has fluid that doing fine, her heartbeat is perfect there's nothing wrong.From the appointment before the last she was 5lbs 11oz, then within the week she had only gained 4oz, and she is now 5lbs 15ozs, But I didn't think that was abnormal, I mean I wasn't a big baby and neither was the father of our child. I guess, my question is should she really be inducing me, is she crazy? Because it sounds like to me the real reason she wants to induce me is so it would be convenient for her. And she tried to put a scare tactic on me and said, "You don;t want to go past your due date, because then there's that chance she will be a still born, and you don't want that, do you?" I'm 19 years old and this is my first child, I don;t think that's something you should say. Because I know, there's always a chance of that happening whether its before or after your due date.
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi Kyley.
Thanks for your question.
Hi thanks for your question.
Yes, you are right main reason for induction of labour is post dated pregnancy, but there are few reasons for induction of labour before the due date and baby not growing properly is one of the reasons. The other include is uncontrolled blood pressure and eclampsia, when there is danger to life of mother and baby by continuing pregnancy .Congenital malformation of baby and abruptive placenta are few more indications. The consulting gynaecologist knows the best, as she knows you physical as well as your gynecological paremeters. Her availability is also very important factor, as every Doctor wants his patient to be handed by him or herself. Difference of one or two days doesn't affects much the maturity of baby .
Hope this answers your question.
General & Family Physician Dr. Nsah Bernard's  Response
Dec 2012

thanks for posting your query,

Well, reading at your description, I would have taken another approach besides inducing your pregnancy at this stage. Since the baby is doing fine and seems to have intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR-which does not seem severe to me (as there is already a family history of low birth weight in family), it would have been better to allow your pregnancy to progress till your due date while allowing you to monitor for fetal movements and your daily weight. If you had fetal cardiac monitoring device, then you would have been doing it yourself at home, just making sure the baby's heart is well.
My suggestion is that you should have a good nutrition, and allow pregnancy to progress naturally till due date.
I apologize that you feel offended by your doctor's methods, but I want to believe that he is in a better position to judge what is good for you and I do not think he would take the decision to induce if he had no good indication.
Just trust in his judgement and hope for the best with your baby. 36-37 week is not really premature (borderline) and your baby will come out just fine.

Hope this helps