I have swelling in both sides of my neck above my collarbone.

I have swelling in both sides of my neck above my collarbone I am a 50 year old woman who up until the past 6 months has been pretty healthy. Six months ago, my world has fallen apart with being sick. My neck swells on both sides above my collarbone. I feel nauseated and lightheaded, dizzy, as well as have breathing difficulties. My throat feels tightened which makes me feel like I am being choked. At times the back of my neck hurts horribly. I feel an overwelming feeling of being very sick at times where I don t feel like I can function. At times, I wonder if I am going to die soon. The one thing that puzzles me is that it comes and goes. Some days I have better days when I feel ok and others I am a mess. For about 6 weeks, I didn t have any symptoms at all and thought I just had a virus and it went away. I have missed over 200 hours of work and don t know where to turn next. I have been to two different medical doctors in two different hospital systems and many specialty doctors (Endocronologist, Pulmonary , 2 different ENT doctors, Neurologist , cardiologist, visit from head radiologist who did an ultrasound on my neck area, and an allergist). I have been to three different hospitals, one which I spent four days at running tests. I have had MRI s, MRA s, Cat scans with dye of neck and head, and Cat scans without dye of chest. I ve had ultrasounds of thyroid, carotid arteries, heart, and swollen neck area. I have had numerous blood tests, allergy tests, xrays, a sleep study, a throat scope, and physical therapy on my neck. No one knows what is wrong with me. Some tell me to lose weight , and some say all my tests are normal, so it must be stress. One said it is probably air in my neck, another says maybe it s water retention. Another said maybe it s fatty tissue. Through the many tests the only things that have been determined is that my thyroid has two small nodules that the drs don t feel is the problem, and I have low oxygen levels at night when I am sleeping, but it is not sleep apnea . I have been put on 2 liters of oxygen at night to sleep about two weeks ago. I was on steroids on and off for several months before all this started. I had been on several oral doses of prednisone and had a couple shots of cortisone for a foot problem. Also received an injection of steroids on one of my hospital trips in case I was having an allergic reaction. I have had mild asthma since I was 30, but not that bad. I have only one ovary from cysts when I was in my 20 s, and then had endometrial ablation about 5 years ago. I am desperate to find out what is going on with me. I am very sick of being sick and I just want to have my life back again. Where do I go next?
Asked On : Sat, 5 Mar 2011