I have saliva in my mouth

hi doc,i have saliva in my mouth constantly.how can this be reduced?
Asked On : Tue, 10 Aug 2010
Dentist 's  Response
Hello there,

Saliva produced from major and minor salivary gland situated in our oral cavity.

Saliva is very important for normal speech,food chewing,teeth and its supporting structure's health etc.....

Normal salivary flow is

Increase amount of saliva in our oral cavity either due to excessive salivary production or decrease in ability to swallow saliva in our mouth.

There are various factors related to increase salivary production in our oral cavity.Few of them are following-
1. Ill fitting dentures.
2. Gastroesophageal reflux disease.
3. Infection in the mouth or throat.
4. Pregnancy.
5. Stomatitis.
6. Medications such as clonazepam,pilocarpine,carvidopa-levodopa etc........
7. Arsenic/mercury poisening.
8. Bell's palsy.
9. Rabies.
10. Syphilis.
11. Tuberculosis.

If you have any of the above factors,you need to consult with your dentist and general physician at the earliest and take a proper treatment.

Hope this information will be helpful.

Dr. Gunjan Gupta
Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
hello
normally around 1500 ml of saliva is produced daily
now if you say that you have it constantly than you must be meaning that its in overflow i.e. it comes out while speaking and your oral cavity seems always full of it
there are many causes for oversalivation which includes -salivary gland disfunction,GERD,ill fitting dentures or removable partial dentures,cavitis in teeth which engulf food particles,gingivitis or periodontitis leading to impection of food particles in between teeth,etc etc
also people working in heavy metal industry are also prone to this problem
tuberculosis may also lead to such problem
what i would suggest that you visit your local dentist and get your total examination done
in the meanwhile you can do following
1.use alcohole free hexidine mouthwash 2-3 times a day
2.try to keep a some ginger or clove in your mouth that would enhance dryness
hope this helps
Saliva is the oral secretion (appx 1500 ml per day) by salivary gland which may either decreased or increased due to various reasons including with certain medicines like antihypertensives, diuretics or body fluid losses to name a few

Increase in saliva is generally due to local irritating factors in oral cavity, like gum problems, sore tooth, mouth ulcers etc. if you have any of those, consult with a dentist. Also, sometimes, in people with occupational exposure of certain heavy metals like those working with paint industry, acid works/ battrey manufacturers, etc. lan lead to heavy metal toxicity which in turn can lead to such increased salivation.

Kindly notify your profession/ Oro-dental conditions. there is no specific treatment except for a surgical repositioning of salivary ducts in caese deemed absolutely necessary. alternative treatment is to have as much water as possible, and keep swallowing frequently.
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Excessive salivation is seen in conditions like GERD, Pregnancy, excessive starch intake, pancreatitis, liver disease, oro dental infections.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get the thorough clinical examination done.
Maintain a good oral hygiene, use of antiseptic mouthwash rinses can have a drying effects.

Hope this helps out.

Regards.
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Hope this helps out.

Regards.

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014

First get your dentist or doctor to check your mouth for any cause of excess saliva production, or a stone in the ducts. Then you may need to change your eating habits a little. Try not to talk and eat at the same time and try to talk without opening your mouth too wide or lifting your tongue.

Regards.
Cardiologist Dr. Naresh Ruparelia's  Response
Hi wellcome to Hcm.
Quantum of salivary secretion varies from person to person but can increase if you
have some infection in mouth like gingivitis. dental infection etc. Good oral hygene
gargling with antiseptic garagl, brushing teeth regularly 2 to3 times a day.Use of
tongue cleaner regularly may help you. Thanks