I have pain and crackling on the outside, under the knee, please help

I twisted my knee and when it happen I heard and felt a pop on the inside of my knee. Also, now when I walk, I have pain and crackling on the outside, under the knee. When I am walking and I have to turn or piviot, I get a pain that runs the inside of my knee. And now I can just be standing there and my knee feels like it is really loose and feels like I hyperextended in, the knee pushes back. How ling should I wait to go to the doctor or should I continue to try and heal it myself. Thank you
Asked On : Wed, 2 Feb 2011