I have lump on outside of knee. As I straighten the knee, the lump disappears

I am a 48 years old male. As a soccer official, I do a lot of side-stepping as well as sudden stop and starts. I noticed this condition first in 11/2010 and a doctor suggested rest. I now am encountering the condition in 3/2011 after rest and the start up of the spring soccer season. When I begin a squat, a lump or swelling appears on the outside of the knee . As I straighten the knee, the lump disappears. The lump can be depressed without pain. It also feels as though my knee will give out.
Asked On : Tue, 22 Mar 2011