I have lump on collar bone

in the pass week I have had a lump start to grow on my left collare bone, It started getting sore in the passed couple of days and the lump is as hard as the bone it is on, some soreness in surrounding area.
Asked On : Sun, 27 Dec 2009

Hey my baby daughter is nearly 4months old and since she was born she has a little lump on her right collar bone. It is sometimes red and if I was to pull the skin tight it would go a blue like colour similar to a vein. However it does not be generally red but skin colour it is only sometimes it goes red. I noticed it when she was born and the doctors and nurses did not mention anything about it. However when I last touched it she began to cry as though irritated. I have brought her to my G.P and he has said it looks like a vein and if it begins to excrete puss to come back to him. Can you please shed some light on this matter and as to what it may be as I am worried and want to know what it is exactly. I understand you can only give information going on the description I have given you however I would really appreciate if you could help me.

A sore lump can be due to trauma or an infected lymph node. It can be a benign bony tumor. Get an urgent examination. If it does not respond to medical treatment, keeps growing or is very hard, get an X-ray and USG Neck done too. There are many other benign causes like cysts, thyroid gland enlargement, sterno-clavicular joint inflammation and so on which may be the cause.

Remember that if it is relatively painless and just above the left collar bone, it may be Virchow's node and the sign is known as Troisier's Sign which may signify an abdominal tumor and in such a case it has to be confirmed by FNAC or biopsy.