I have had a blocked ear now for a week, the pain is bad, please help em

My left ear is blocked, and i havent been able to hear out of it for a week now. I went to the doctor who told me it is a build up of wax and to get drops and the wax is really dry. Ive been using the drops now 4 days, when I put them in for the first 2 days I felt nothing, now when I put them in I can hear them fizzing, it tickles a lot, but in between drops I get a good bit of pain from my ear. Do I need to go back to the doctor, or is it just a case of perservering with the drops. Im very fed up with it now, the pain is bad, and not being able to hear is horrible.
Asked On : Sat, 12 Feb 2011