I have had Sore throat, What should I do ?

I have had Strep throat and have been taking Augmentin from 2 days. But I am not feeling better. What should I do?
Asked On : Mon, 21 Dec 2009
Continue the antibiotics for 5 days and complete the course. Only after that you will find relief. Allow sometime for the antibiotics to act and do not stop it randomly.
ENT Specialist Dr. Puneet Maheshwari's  Response
Hi, welcome to health care magic.

Thanks for the query,

If augmentin ie amoxycillin with clavulinic acid is not working, then you may switch over to a higher antibiotic like cefpodoxime proxeitil . The dose is 200 mg twice a day.

Take plenty of fluids, warm saline gargles, along with supportive treatment.

ENT Specialist Dr. Naveen Kumar's  Response
Hi Chandrika,

You need to continue the antibiotics, do not stop. It is one of the best antibiotic for sore throat. Also, drink plenty of warm water, do gargles with Betadine mouth gargles (1:1dilution) 3-4 times/day after food. Avoid oily and chilled food.

Dr. Naveen Kumar