I have experienced difficulty breathing, tight chest, chest pain, lightheadedness, What could be the reason?

For the past two months I have experienced difficulties with breathing. I feel as if my longs are not getting sufficient oxygen and I have to either yawn (which doesn t always help) or try to take a deep breath (which isn t always succesful) in order to get that full satisfying breath. I also experience heart palpitations, tightness in my chest/lungs (in the middle of my breasts you can say) also a feeling of pain around the right side of my chest. It feels as if I am in a room that lacks oxygen. I have it from when I wake up till I go to sleep constantly, even if I m distracted. So it s not like something temporary, that happens regularly, its always constant, I even feel it now. I have also noticed (the past 3 weeks) that I feel lightheaded sometimes, and often hungry even though I ate enough (not pregnant ). I am 21 years old, dont smoke nor drink alcohol regularly (only on special occassions i.e. birthdays). I m 5 foot 2 and weigh 52 kg. My doctor automatically thought it was hyperventilation even though, I dont hyper ventilate. He says that Im young, so there is probably nothing wrong. And I had to beg him to do a chest x-ray . He is refusing to do any further testings, and I find it ridicoulos that he would make a diagnosis without further testings to rule out other things, i.e. mitral valve prolapse . He recommended physiotherapy , and I went, the physiotherapist told me that she can see that I am not breathing properly, I have went and have tried taking it seriously, it has helped a little. But it hasnt taken away the feeling that it feels as if my lungs arent getting sufficient oxygen =(. But this doesn t necessarily mean that hyperventilationis the only thing that can cause it? Nor did he perscribe me with any medication for hyperventilation (if there are any, because he acted as if there aren t). I am not currently under stress nor anything of the sort. But I try to manage the breathing and maybe because I appear calm does the doctor not take my symptoms seriously? I don t know what to do. I was also wondering what my rights are concerning having tests done (or i.e. a complete check up). Even if it is hyperventilation, I can t grasp at the fact that he wont try to rule out other things, regardless of my request/concerns. I just want to be able to breath again and find out what it is, what ever it is and deal with it. Also which tests would you recommend having done? Thank you beforehand for your time and help and sorry for the typos. Additional info: I have high blood pressure in my famly (mom, uncles, grandmother).
Asked On : Thu, 17 Mar 2011