I have been feeling depressed for the last month and not able to concentrate ?

hi i have been feeling really depressed for the last month and a half due to losing all my friends and not going out to see anyone for the past 4 weeks my brain has gone blank i cant seem to talk to anyone i dont know what to say its always a yes no answer its like my vocabulary is non existent anymore i dont think i would be able to work at the moment because i cant concentrate and take things in plese help me
Asked On : Mon, 24 Jan 2011
Welcome to HCM!
I have read your query and from that it is evident that you feel sad, blank , unable to concentrate, and there is no one you feel like or can talk to. It looks like you have developed depressive disorder due to the circumstances as almost all symptoms are seen in it.

If you can, please meet a psychiatrist and get a detailed evaluation and tests done. However, from my clinical experince I can say that with sertraline 25- 100 mg, once a day you will start feeling much better and able to enjoy the life once again! Believe me!!

It is very common and completely treatable condition, you donot need to worry, just start medicine.

It usually takes around 10- 15 days for drugs to show its effect, so donot worry and wait for this much time.
try to keep yourself busy for some time, may be by gardening, networking ( internet), walking, going to market...just avoid staying alone, this will help a lot.

Hope the reply is useful
Feel free to ask more queries
Dr. Manisha. Gopal.