I have been attacked 3 times by Jaundice.

From my childhood I have been attacked 3 times by Jaundice. First time when I was about 8 year old, second time in last year about April 2009 and again this year. In the mean time i had keep falling ill with minor diseases. Every time i had been cured but this time i want to reach to the root cause of the disease. Last year in April 2009, my heamogloblin lavel was arround 6.4 and this year on 7 of march 2010, my heamogloblin is 7.4. Can any one suggest, what could be the reason and to whom i should consult?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Mar 2010
  Anonymous's Response

Hi.. Presence of anemia and jaundice are feature of hemolytic anemia.. Blood hemoglobin after hemolysis are metabolised to bilirubin.. Hence excessive hemolysis can lead to anemia and excessive metobolism leads to jaundice.. This probably may be the cause for both the problems.. You may have to discuss about your condition with a hematologist along with or without gastroenteritis...

I have gone through 4 blood tests:

1. RETICULOCYTE COUNT
  2. G-6-PD, QUANTITATIVE
  3. COOMBS TEST, INDIRECT, COOMBS TEST, DIRECT
  4. HB ELECTROPHORESIS (HPLC)

But all test are negative/normal. What could be other reasons for my anemia??

I also want to know that how much level of heamoglobin is criticle mine is 6.3 g/dl and same for RBC count, my current RBC count is 1.73 mill/mm3.

Dietitian & Nutritionist Farha's  Response
DO U STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
HB CAN BE RAISED BY TAKING GARDEN CRESS SEEDS IN DIET + JAGGERY .
U CAN INCLUDE MEAT + FISH+ POULTRY DAILY IN UR DIET
APART FROM THAT U CAN INCLUDE VIT C RICH FOODS LEMON / CITRUS FRUITS DAILY IN UR DIET.

Hi Dr. Farha,

Last year in 2010, after all above mentioned tests, doctor recommended only Folic Acid tablets and I had improved my hemoglobin. I am fine from last except very minor diseases like cold etc.

But as far as my body mass and weight concern, I have not still gained it much. I still look skinny. I had took a decent amount of dry fruits in last winter but it did not helped in gaining weight. I think either my metabolism is very high or I have weak digestion.

What do you suggest?