I have a pain in my back that is centered on the right side

I have a pain in my back that is centered on the right side. It is tender to the touch and feels like a sore muscle, however, there are no outward symptoms such as redness or swelling of any kind. Now it seems to be spreading from my back around to the front of my stomach, but I don't yet have any gastro-intestinal symptoms. Any professionals with any ideas ? My wife, whom is completing her Nursing Degree, does not have a reasonable explanation. This seems to fall in the category of the Unknown/House M.D. arena.
Asked On : Fri, 10 Jul 2009
It looks to be a muscle spasm. However if persistent for longtime, you need to get yourself tested for the etiology the reason for such pain.
  Anonymous's Response
Hi. You have not said upper back or lower back so I cannot say if your problem is same as mine. I had pain on my right side in my upper back, almost in/ or little below shoulder area which was also starting to radiate to the front. It felt like sore muscle just like you are describing. I went for check-up. and was told it is posture related. i work 8 to 10 hours on computer and strain on my right arm was causing the pain. I was on painkillers for about 2 weeks. I also changed my chair. Doctor also advised physiotherapy but I never went for tht. Now my pain is better. But comes back if I work long hours on several days.But if you are suffering from low back pain it is probably something different from what I had.
General & Family Physician Dr. Syed Anwar Nadeem's  Response
A-A Arshad

Your question mark as unexplainable answer is

Take one teaspoonful of Turmeric (Haldi ) in a glass of milk daily for three days
You will alright IA
  Anonymous's Response
Arshad, I am not sure why you raised the pint about gastro-intestinal system.I have a lower back problem on the right side for more than 4 years now.It started in a mild fashion and now it has become so troublesome that on days I have to take off from work.I have already checked with orthopedicians and also traditional healers.None of their techniques have worked for long time.I am planning to take about 3 months off around November and going to a yoga camp.Just want to give it a try before I would have to opt in for surgical measures.