I had a surgery for prolapsed disc but still getting severe cramp in left hip and leg

I have a prolasped disc and waiting to see consultant in 3 weeks, i alresdy had surgery 5 yrs ago but only half the disc was removed i have severe cramp in left hip and back of my knee which im used to to today from my knee down to foot it feels like its being crushed and sme of the leg is numb im in alot of pain more than ive had in weeks, should i push for an earlier appointment? please help. Gemma
Asked On : Fri, 11 Mar 2011
Hi there Gemma. Thanks for your question. Yes, you should push for an earlier appointment. And in the meantime you should stay off your feet and lie down as much as possible. This will take some of the pressure off the disc. The worry is that the impingement on the nerve root can give rise to permanent nerve damage. Good luck.

Andrew Rynne MD

Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Meena Gupta's  Response
hi , please consult the orthopedic and take proper physiotherapy management under the supervision of physiotherapist
yes u indeed need to push for an earlier appointment. because it s very difficult to c what problem u are suffering without having ur latest MRI scan films. most likely it s something called FBSS ( failed back surgery syndrome), i which after the surgery the tissue that grows around the operated area entraps the nerves in that area and causes pains in the area it supplies.