I get ear pain when i open my jaw

hello, when i open my mouth and move my jaw to the right it clicks and sends a shooting pain through my right ear . the jaw doesn t hurt and it doesn t hurt for long.
Asked On : Mon, 21 Mar 2011
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Its probably TMJ its a common jaw problem and lots of reasons for it but since you have a crooked jaw that's the most likely culprit. Sometimes it lasts for days best thing to do is let your jaw rest. Try not to talk, eat soft foods and nothing that makes you chew.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dentist Dr. Geoffrey Ward's  Response
Hello and thank you for your comment.
What you are describing is a disorder in the jaw joint (TMJ). My recommendation would be to avoid purposely opening your mouth and making your jaw pop. The pain is due to the disk in the joint sticking and then snapping back into place (the pop or click). The pain is due to the nerves in the area of the muscle attachment getting signalled due to improper function. This should be evaluated by a dentist. However, many people have this common disorder and just learn to cope with the issues. Others get appliances made to help with the grinding and reduce pain and others get surgery to try to correct the issue. I would give my jaw rest with warm moist compress on my jaw 20 minutes on 10 minutes off for 1 hour 3 times a day for 4 days. Take NSAIDs at maximum dose for three days (read the bottle) and avoid hard chewy foods.

Best Wishes and good health

Dr. Ward

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Ear pain while opening the jaw(radiating pain) can be due to TMJ disorders, or due to wisdom tooth erruption.

Get the checkup done by an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, take an OPG radiograph.
Also look if there is any errupting or impacted wisdom tooth even then you have the same symptoms.

Apply moist heat towels on both the sides of the TMJ 3-4 times a day.
Take warm saline gargles 3-4 times a day.
Take an analgesic along with muscle relaxant.

Hope this helps out.

Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
There can be many causes. It can be due to TMJ or it can be due to wisdom tooth. If it is TMJ then it can be infection in TMJ or trauma in TMJ. If wisdom tooth is growing but impacted even then you have such symptoms. If wisdom teeth are alread erupted then it can be TMJ problem. For this you have to go to Oral Surgeon who will diagnose the problem and then give the treatment plan. Sometimes doing hot and cold compressions in TMJ area and doing warm saline rinses solves the problem. If it is infection or trauma in TMJ then you have to take meds but those will be prescribed by your dentist after considering your diagnosis.

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Clicking sound while opening and closing of mandible occurs due to TMJ syndrome.
TMJ disfunction can also cause pain in the jaw, tenderness in the ears and difficulty in mouth opening.
TMJ disfunction can be treated with inflammatory medications, application of moist heat towels in some cases splint therapy can be given.
It would be advisable for you to seek care from a dentist with a special focus on orofacial pain and TMJ disorders and get the clinical evaluation done, take an OPG radiograph to look for the condition of the joint.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dentist, Implantology Dr. Prof. R.R.Mahendra Raj's  Response
There seems to be problem related to your Jaw Joint.You may have to visit a reputed dentist who will advise you to rule out TMJ pathology.
Dentist, Orthodontics Dr. Atwal Vikram's  Response
as per the information provided by you , i have to know your age and the information about your
third molar .
in most cases the occlusal interference caused by wisdom teeth leads to TMJ injury .
i have solved many such cases by carefully selecting to take out the wisdom tooth.
see a prosthodontist and i hope he can adjust your occlusion and relive your condylar fossa .
take care.