I get depressed really easily and feel worthless

I get depressed really easily and feel worthless it doesnt take much to trigger it my mum and two siblings has been diagnosed with it too
Asked On : Tue, 25 Jan 2011
  Anonymous's Response
Hi. I think myself you need to find a counsellor to talk your feelings out with. I don't think you sound depressed just down and out. i felt this way a couple of months ago and the best thing i ever did was see a counsellor as directed by my doctor. Most doctors prefer you to you talk then take tablets. Talking is much better than going to a gp than getting antidepressants which don't resolve the problem. You need to find someone to talk to.
Psychiatrist Dr. B Raghavendra's  Response
Pardon me,

but I MUST disagree with the anonymous answer above.

Antidepressants DO WORK........60% of the time, in moderate-severe depression, when taken in sufficient dose and for sufficiently long enough time.

I agree that if you have mild depression, watchful waiting does help and talking helps but with your strong family history, if you have any degree of depression above mild variety and/or if the depressive spells are recurring, COUNSELLING WOULD NOT HELP.

Hope this clarifies issues further
I'm sorry to say i'm entitled to my opinion whether you like it or not. That's not the way the health system in my country works unless a person is pretty bad.

What about the other 40%? What's the length of time a person is suppose to take antidepressants?

Sorry i didn't send you the question at the start only giving my perspective to the person. I'm entitled to do that. Thanks.

Hi 09smw77,

Yes definitely you are entitled to your opinion and definitely you can differ with me.

What all I was trying to do is to give another perspective of the care to the problem/question posed.

Yes, 30-40% of patients are not benifitted as in addition to medicine not working, there are many factors like the psychosocial problems continuing to be present, additional risk factors preventing the functioning of medicines like drug and alcohol use etc etc

With regards to the duration of taking antidepressants,
if it is a first episode of depression without any past or family history, 6 months after becoming well is the recommended, evidence base guidelines.

If it is a recurrent or severe episode or first episode with strong family history, it is for 2 years from when the mood becomes stable.

If it the 3rd or 4th time, if in the past the symptoms have not all gone away, then long term medication is required.

I also mentioned that CBT, IPT & FT help because they address the basic issues which are causing the depression. And these ARE THE TALKING THERAPIES WHICH HAVE BEEN SHOWN IN RESEARCH TO HELP, supporting what you were saying about talking.

Anyway, I hope this extra clarification helps the person who we both are tryinG to help.