I fractured two vertebra in my thoracic spine & I have a sleeping disorder

40 year old male w/ Osteoporosis found after fractures in thoracic region during nocturnal episode/seizure. I m a 40 year old that was just diagnosed with osteoporosis in my lumbar spine . The find was made when I fractured two vertebra in my thoracic spine (T4 and T5) after an episode at night. I have a sleep disorder , that every once in a great while, I ll wake up and sleep walk and cannot be awaken for 45 minutes to an hour. I have injured myself during these episodes. I ve dislocated a shoulder, broke a wrist, and now have fractures in my spine. I was in the army in 1996 when the first episode occurred after a fall out of my top bunk and five feet down onto the floor (having a grand mal). I was diagnosed with epilepsy (only nocturnal seizures), but they happen only every few years, and they really aren t shaking seizures, but more me being in some sort of state that I cannot come out of. I ve had sleep studies, and they have been irregular . I started taking Dilantin (300 ml a day) in 1997 and took it for about 6 years. I discontinued the medicine, for concerns it was damaging my liver as many long term medications can do. I didn t realize another side effect to Dilantin is significant bone density loss. I am a chiropractor and have a good understanding of bone, but I m also fairly new and don t have all the answers. I consulted a family friend that s a DO (over 30 years) and he said a 40 year old male with osteoporosis is rare (although a Google search suggests it s on the rise). I already know and have increased Vit D and Calcium intake (I have not had a good diet most of my life, and rarely eat vegetables). I also know I must do weight bearing exercises.. I m not as active as I should be. The DO also suggests I may have an endocrine problem. I had a blood test done approx 10 months ago for life insurance and some of my liver values were on the borderline. I m thinking perhaps my problem stems from a poor diet AND poor absorption of the little bit I ve taken in over a long period of time. I guess what I d like to know is... is there any test that someone here would suggest that I haven t done? I ve had an MRI of the thoracics, which suggests an acute injury. I ve had a bone scan (nuclear med) which suggest a chronic problem and I ve had a DEXA scan which suggest osteoporosis in the lumber region (-2.6 T score; -2.5 Z score and in the L femoral neck -1.6 T score; -1.1 Z score.. for Osteopenia). Any medication you would suggest to treat this? Had a blood test 7 days ago, and haven t received results back yet (VA Hospital). An specific part of the blood test I should key on? Any specialist which I should see? There reason I m being so complete with this, is I really don t want to go through this the next 10 years, and find out... if I just would have done this, everything would have been fine. Thank you, Eric S., D.C.
Asked On : Sun, 13 Jun 2010