I felt my heart start to beat really hard. What could have caused it ?

I was sitting writing an email at my desk when I felt my heart start to beat really hard. It didn t beat any faster than it already was, just hard, like it was knocking on my chest. It wasn t like when i had run out of breath but rather like someone was flicking at my chest from the inside. It went away after about 6 seconds. I was just wondering what could have caused it. I m 5 10, 208lbs and I m a heavy smoker. I ve never experienced it before. I ve done a few fun runs, I ve done meth but I ve never felt my heart beat that way before. Also, I did not change anything in my daily routine that day.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Most of the time, palpitations and irregular heartbeats are harmless. However, if they continue they should be checked by a doctor asap. Certain medicines, herbal supplements, illegal street drugs, caffeine, alcohol and tobacco can also cause palpitations. People who have panic disorder have also felt palpitations. Some medical conditions, such as thyroid disease and anemia, also can cause palpitations. Be safe....see your doctor :)