I am suffering pain in my left arm/ shoulder area. Any idea on what It could be ?

Hello I am a 19 year old female and have a bad almost like a throbbing pain in my left arm/ shoulder area.. It almost feels like my arm is dead or something and it seems to travel from my upper arm to my fore arm and down to my hand. I have had it a couple times before but just ignored it cause it did eventually go away but this time it seems worse. Any idea on what It could be? My father has heart problems and my mom drank when she was pregnant with me so I imagine I may have some kind of alcohol fetal syndrome. High blood pressure and blood problems run high in my family on both sides. I have also had a child in 2010 but had this arm problem long before I was ever pregnant. I am now on birth control but the first time I had ever had any birth control at all was after I had my son in 2010. Also I AM a smoker, even though I only smoke about 5 cigarettes a day. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! BTW no I didn t smoke when I was pregnant! Thought you should know! :]
Asked On : Wed, 13 Apr 2011