I am suffering from constipation for 3 years. Do i need medical attention ?

i m suffering from 3 year with heavy constipation . it was actually due to stopping of bowel movements .now it has become a habit and incrasing more and more .it is actually like a mental type disease .please guide me........ i m suffering from 3 year with heavy constipation. it was actually due to stopping of bowel movements .now it has become a habit and incrasing more and more .it is actually like a mental type disease .please guide me........ age is 21 ye ars i have takrn all kind of remedy but no one is successful.can nephrologhist help in this matter????/
Asked On : Mon, 28 Mar 2011
Hello there
Welcome to HealthcareMagic. Constipation can be due to various causes. Inadequate dietary fiber/water, execssive coffee,tea, alcohol. Medications like narcotics,iron supplements,nonmagnesium antacids, calcium-channel blockers, inadequate thyroid hormone supplementation, psychotropic drugs, anticholinergic agents.Hypothyroidism, neurologic disorders like diabetic autonomic neuropathy, spinal cord injury, head injury, cerebrovascular accident, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson disease and above all tumors / neoplasms.So one needs to correlate the root cause of it and then get the cause treated. I advice you to take opinion from a gastroenterologist. Take care