I am suffering from ANUG after letting my gums bleed every time I brushed my teeth for about 6-7 months

I am hoping you can help me. I visited my dentist yesterday and was very sad to see that I am suffering from ANUG after letting my gums bleed every time I brushed my teeth for about 6-7 months. During my check up where this was found the dentist took 2 X rays & gave me a routine examination although did not find any cavities nor anyhting else wrong with my teeth apart from the Gum Disease. He prescribed me with Metronizadole which I am to take 3 times a day for 5 days. I started this yesterday so far have taken 3 tablets yesterday & 2 today. I am booked in to see my dental hygienist in a weeks time to carry out any other treatment. Ever since I started to take the tablets yesterday I have suffered a lot of toothache especially the bottom left near the back. One of my teeth seems to have a very sharp edge on it which I have never felt before & it is giving me great pain. This was not the case when I vistited my dentist. I have some questions for you: 1) Would my toothache be caused by taking these tablets? 2) Should I return to my dentist & see what the problem is despite him not seeing anything when he gave me an examination nor in the X rays or will the dental hygieneist be able to diagnoise the problem when I see her on Tuesday? 3) What will the dental hygienist do in order to fix the ANUG problem (it is only the front of my mouth which has ANUG -both top & bottom) 4) Will my problem be fixed in 1 session or will I have to return on several occasions? Many thanks for your help in advance
Asked On : Tue, 1 Feb 2011