I am on citalopram and have a heavy menstrual bleeding and cramps

Hi...I am 35 and have been taking Citalopram for 8 weeks, a week before I started taking them I started a period and ended up bleeding very heavily for 6 weeks with blood clots the size of my 7 year olds fist. During this bleeding I had painful cramps. I stopped bleeding 2 weeks ago but I am still having really painful menstrual cramps... All the time. Is all this linked to the Citalopram?? I do have irregular bleeding/spotting and have done for a few years now but never lasting 6 weeks or painful and i also have occasional pain during sex and after with occasional bleeding after. I have seen my gp and he wants to send me for urgent cancer screening, i am very worried but wondering if it is all linked to the tablets.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Mar 2011