I am having some difficulty in my vision due to growth in my eyes

I have been having some sort of a growth like in the eye, it initially started in the white of the eye and has later spread to the black also so now I am having some difficulty in my vision can you tell me what needs to be done.
Asked On : Fri, 15 Jan 2010
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Welcome to healthcare magic.
The problem appears to be pterygum.If f it advances it is not allowed to reach the edge of pupil,and is removed surgically with conjunctival grafting
We think the growth is a pterygium and answer this question. A pterygium is a wedge-shaped tissue of conjunctiva that is vascular and grows slowly towards and over the cornea. It is a vascular tissue; it looks pink and causes irritation. It is believed that ultra-violet light is a factor in causing the fibrous and vascular changes in the exposed conjunctiva, which gradually grows onto the cornea. If pterygium advances enough to the center of cornea it will obviously threaten vision. Usually complain of a pink spot on their eye, irritation, watering and foreign body sensation. The pinkish appearance of the eye is also a concern for the patients. By progression of the vascular tissue onto the cornea, it will deform the surface of the cornea and cause irregular astigmatism. Mild decongestant/steroid eye drops, artificial tears and sunglasses are recommended by eye doctors for the early stages of pterygium. Due to its high recurrence rate after surgical excision (up to 40% of cases), the aim is to manage the disease with medication, if possible, as long as vision is not threatened. The methods of surgical excision are simple excision, excision with conjunctival graft, excision and use of amniotic membrane to cover the wound, application of anti metabolites to prevent recurrence, and applying different radiation.