I am having dry cough and mild fever, suggest me the treatment

I am having dry cough and mild fever (not exceeding 100 F) for more than a week with some sneezing. I have taken one bottle of Dexpoten (100ml); this didn t seem to work much. I switched over to a drug called Guaifenesin plus Pseudoephedrine plus Triprolidine (an Expectorant). The dry cough persists. Should I continue with any of these drugs? How does these affect the liver? Suggest alternative medication? I ve been smoking for more than 15 years and my age is 44 (male).
Asked On : Mon, 28 Feb 2011