I am experiencing some brown spotting and blood stains so am I likely to begin my period while having birth control pills ?

I was prescribed birth control pills to help with heavy periods, severe cramps and mid cycle bleeding . Currently I am not sexually active. I began the first pack in the middle of my cycle on june 24th. I am due to stop this medication for my first period break on august 25th. I am currently experiencing some brown spotting and some blood stains. This is the time my period would have been due had I not been on this medicine. I am experiencing all the usual period symptoms without the heavy bleeding. I often get the brown and pink spotting just before my period begins normally. Is this likely to be breakthrough bleeding? Am I likely to begin my period while taking this medicine? I believe I had ovulated before I began the birth control pills and therefore I would have real womb lining to be shed from my june cycle. I am going to my doctors office next week and am due for a pelvic ultrasound in a fortnight. Is what I am experiencing normal or should I be concerned? thank you.
Asked On : Wed, 10 Aug 2011