I am a 30 year old & when I am in bed I feel like I might die. how I can prevent this symptom ?

I am a 30 year old white male living in newfoundland, Canada. This issue has happened a few times now and its starting to scare me. This happens when I am in bed and just dozing off but not quite asleep. It feels like I am really really high and an intense pressure pushes on my head from the inside out. The whole feeling is that intense I feel like I might die. As soon as I open my eyes it all goes away and don t usually happen again. But the last time this happened as soon as I closed my eyes it happened again and again. It was really hard to keep my eyes open. And it seemeed to get more intense each time. I m afraid I m not gonna be able to open my eyes next time and I don t know what will happen. Also just about every time I stand up I get Really dizzy and get the same pressure in my head only not as intense. This lasts for only a couple seconds but happenens quite often. I have never had any medical problems associated with this and as a result have not seeked medical advise yet. I hope you can explain to me what is going on and how I can prevent this. Thank you
Asked On : Tue, 1 Mar 2011
and also the way you get dizzy when you stand up suggests some vaso-vagal/other postural hypotension causing problems. Please consult a physician first. I have not heard of such kind of symptoms as a psychiatrist before.
Radiologist Dr. Radha Narayanan's  Response
most probably you are snoring which you will not be aware of and as a result of this you are developing sleep apnoea because of airway getting blocked less oxygen going to your brain hence the apneic spells.Kindly see a respiratory physician .