I am 30 and have insulin resistance, hypothyroid & acanthosis nigricans

I am 30 and have Insulin Resistance , hypothyroid & acanthosis nigricans - Help? Hello Doctor, I am 30 year old unmarried female. Right now my weight is 82 kgs. Last year I missed my 3 periods so got my blood tested. My TSH level was found to be 6.5. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid by doctor and he prescribed me thyronorm - 50 mcg which I am taking regularly since year. He also suggested me to go to gynac for missed period, gynac performed sonography & my reports were normal except of my ovaries bit small than normal. She prescribed Norglen and after 1 week I got periods and till one year I was having periods regularly. Now once again I missed 3 periods almost since last 3 months. I went for full body profile and my thyroid levels were normal but following of my reports were not normal - wbc (white blood cells ) - 11300, fbs (fasting blood sugar) - 108.2, sgpt - 49 u/l and serum Triglyceride is 205.3 mg/dl and S HDL cholesterol is 30.4 mg/dl which all is not normal. I went to my endocriminologist. After examining me he said I am having insulin resistance and checking my skin he said I also have acanthosis nigricans which is due to elevated insulin levels. He also said my BP is high - 142/92 mm of Hg (& pr - 86 mm of hg). Now he suggested me to continue thyronorm - 50 mcg though thyroid levels were normal & prescribed me tab GLYCOMET 500 MG which I will have to take after meals 2 times a day. He said the above tablet is for diabetes but since you have pre-diabetes condition and obesity you will have to take this. He didn t prescribed anything for elevated BP level and wbc. sgpt & serum Triglyceride and low S HDL. He said sgpt (49) can be due to fatty lever and cholesterol is due to obesity. He said right now no medicine is required for everything all you need to do is reduce weight because if you won t lose weight you will have more and more problem in future. He prescribed Valbet cream for acanthosis and said it will automatically disappear if you keep insulin levels under control through exercising and proper diet and reduce weight but if you want you can go to skin specialist. I asked him whether I will have to take GLYCOMET permanently, so at first he said you will have to continue but later when he saw I am worried he said if you reduce weight and keep blood sugar under control you can stop this medicine, at-least you have to continue till you reduce 10 kgs of weight. I do trust my doctor and he is one of popular one of our city but I would just like to get second opinion for a matter. Following are my questions and doubts:- 1) Is the medicine - GLYCOMET 500 MG prescribed by him is right? I am having only insulin resistance and not diabetes so why he prescribed diabetes medicine. 2) Will I have to continue taking this medicine throughout my life or I can stop taking it if I reduce weight. Please tell me because I don t want to take it throughout my life. 3) Is he doing the right thing by not prescribing any medicine for high BP and elevated sgpt and serum Triglyceride (cholesterol) and just advicing to reduce weight. 4) Is it worth going to skin specialist and spend money for acanthosis nigricans or I do what my doctor said. 5) How do I get back my periods? My doctor advised me to go to radiologist for PCOS and go to gynac. I would appreciate your advice and be grateful to you. Thank you very much.
Asked On : Fri, 15 Jul 2011