I am 15year old boy my cleft pallete

I am 15year old boy from brighton,alabamawith a cleft pallete and i really need help on making it better when i talk all of the air comes out my nose instead of my mouth so if anyone can help me on exercises i could use one making my speech better please help me i have lost all of my self-esteem to talk and courage
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jun 2010
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
Nasal speech may not be totally correctable with speech therapy alone.Some amount of nasality may persist after a palate repair but if it is to an extent that peple do not understand you then you need to be examined by a Plastic surgeon and in some cases Pharyngoplasty-a surgery to reduce the nasal escape may help.