Hypothyroidism, taking eltroxin. Pregnant? Will this medication harm the baby?

Hi, I was diagnosed with hypothyrodism about a year ago. My doctor prescribed elthroxin medication ( 1 and half pill a day). My query is that I might be pregnant (not sure as a few more days need to pass till I can use the pregnancy test and eventually the latter will give me an accurate result) and I am not sure whether this medication might harm the baby or not, as I am still taking it. Thanks Sarah
Asked On : Thu, 31 May 2012
Endocrinologist 's  Response
Hi Sarah,
Levothyroxine ( Eltroxin) is a thyroid hormone and it is absolutely safe in pregnancy. In fact, the requirement of this goes up during pregnancy and you might need to increase the dose if you are pregnant. Please get a pregnancy test and meet your doctor. They may also do a TSH and if it is > 2.5, they will increase the dose. Please be assured that it is a safe drug which is necessary for brain development of the baby and it is absolutely safe