Hypothyroid, persistent nodules in ultrasound even after taking medicines, advised biopsy. Serious?

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in May. A subsequent thyroid ultrasound showed 6 nodules, 4 which are over 1.0 cm. I was started on .025 mg Synthroid , and when bloodwork was repeated after 3 months, my T3, T4, and TSH were normal. I had a repeat thyroid ultrasound last week, which showed the 6 nodules are still there, but slightly smaller than they were, with no new ones. The radiologist s recommendation was to repeat it in 6 months, with diagnoses of Hashimoto s Thyroiditis and a goiter . He did not recommend a biopsy at this time. However, at my appt this afternoon, my endocrinologist scheduled me for a biopsy (with the same radiologist who read my ultrasound) to check two of them for cancer. She didn t seem particularly concerned, but as you can imagine, I am somewhat alarmed. Is she just being overly cautious? She has asked me 3 times if I have been exposed to radiation to my head/neck area. Other than yearly dental xrays, I have not. What are your thoughts?
Asked On : Sun, 16 Sep 2012