Hyperthyroidism, taking Carbimazole and propranolol. Is it okay to take radio-iodine therapy?

Doctor, I m 44 male. I ve been suffering from hyperthyroidism for the last 3 years and have been under treatment of an endocrinologist , taking medications carbimazole 5mg (20 mg at present once in the morning), propranolol 40mg (thrice daily). My doctor has been adjusting the doses depending on the TSH, FT3 and FT4 levels at an interval of 1 to 2 months. I have gained weight since taking the medications. But even though I m under treatment still my TSH FT3 and FT4 levels don t seem to stay at normal level all the time. My doctor is thinking of giving me radio- iodine therapy in the near future. My questions are is the line of treatment okay and would the radio-iodine therapy could have ill effects on me as I have recently married and thinking of having a child. Your advise in this regard will be highly appreciated. Regards, John, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Asked On : Mon, 22 Oct 2012